Skip to main content Accessibility Help

Enter a delivery address

Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion*Packaging may vary

Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion

Bordeaux Blend / France, Bordeaux


Category
Bordeaux Blend
Region
Bordeaux, France
Body
Full
Sweet-Dry Scale
Dry

Product Description

Chateau La Mission Haut Brion is not quite as old as Chateau Haut Brion. La Mission Haut Brion only dates back to the late 16th century. The property came into being after it was purchased by Jean de Pontac in 1533. Pontac was also the owner of what later became Chateau Haut Brion. Jean de Pontac was responsible for the birth of several of the best estates and vineyards in Bordeaux. Chateau La Mission Haut Brion and its Bordeaux wine vineyards became famous when Arnaut de Lastonnac and the sister of Jean de Pontac were married. In 1607, the estate changed hands. It was inherited by Ms. Olive de Lestonnac. Olive de Lestonnac eventually bequeathed the property to the Congregation of the Mission. This is where the vineyard earned its moniker. Even though the gifting was not popular with other members of the family, in 1664, Catherine de Mullet made the gift official. At that point in time, La Mission Haut Brion became the property of the Roman Catholic Church. In 1698, a small chapel was built in the vineyards. This chapel was known as Notre Dame de La Mission. 15 years later, in 1713, the official chateau was built on the property. The estate remained the hands of the Roman Catholic Church until it was repossessed during the French revolution and later sold at a public auction. In 1815, Chateau La Mission Haut Brion became the property of its first American owner, the Chiapelle family. At the time, the family was already involved in the Bordeaux wine trade. In fact, they knew about the business as they had managed a myriad of different estates including Chateau Cos dEstournel.

View all products by Chateau La Mission Haut-BrionCalifornia Residents: Click here for Proposition 65 WARNING