Hidden deep in the east Highland hills, The GlenDronach Distillery has been quietly perfecting sherry wood maturation since 1826. Our founder, James Allardice, built his distillery in the fertile landscape of the Forgue valley and named it 'GlenDronach', which means 'valley of the brambles' in Scots Gaelic. Here, he discovered the rich depths of sherry wood maturation, marrying Scottish spirit to Spanish cask. Little has changed over the centuries, our craftsmen use the same iron mash tun, wooden washbacks and saxophone copper pot stills as their forefathers did.
Within the range of Spanish oak sherry casks available, The GlenDronach focuses on the marriage of fruity and nutty Oloroso Sherry casks and intensely, rich Pedro Ximénez casks. Alongside the flavour, Oloroso casks give The GlenDronach its signature depth in colour. Pedro Ximénez casks on the other hand provide the signature richness and depth in flavour of The GlenDronach. Our well-kept secrets have been guarded for nearly 200 years by a parliament of rooks, a small group of black birds that try to nest in the warehouses. The distillery folk believe that as long as the rooks remain at the distillery, it will be good for the whisky.